Saturday 27 September 2014

Research of Genre's.

Before I carry on anymore research and planning on my Poster, Front cover and Teaser Trailer of my movie, I need to make my final decision on which genre I will base my movie on.

As I have very little knowledge on movie genre's, in this post I am going to research a variety of different and diverse genre's. In addition, I am going to break each genre and give a brief overview. I will gather my research from a variety of different websites and books. The main website I used in this research is "FilmSite.org". Once I have a more detailed understanding of the different types of genres, I will be able to come to a more clear and better decision of which genre I should choose. 


Bellow, I have written a brief overview of the different types of Genre's I have found in my research. 

Action
Movies from the 'Action' genre, tend to be big budget Hollywood movies. Conventions from Action films usually include stunts, chases, rescues, destructive crises and non stop motion.




Comedy
Films from the genre of 'Comedy' are most often 'light-hearted' plots consistently and deliberately designed to amuse and provoke laughter. This is often done by exaggerating a situation, action and relationships between characters.


Horror
Films from the Horror genre are designed to frighten and invoke ones worst fears, often appearing in a terrifying and dramatic final. Horror films feature a wide range of styles, for example, the earliest silent Nosferatu, to todays CGI monsters and deranged humans. In addition, directors and editors from the Horror genre, have the access to a lot more resources and technology then compared to the classic Horror movies. Therefore, have a more of an impact and                                                                        effect on the viewers of today.

Science Fiction
The Science fiction genre is often visionary and imaginative. The conventions of this genre often include, heroes, aliens, distant planets, futuristic technology and unknowable forces. The 'Science fiction' genre has become increasing poplar in recent years, as shown in recent surveys.




Westerns
Western films are looked upon as the major defining of the American film industry. They are one of the oldest, most enduring genre, with very irreconcilable plots, elements and characters; such as Cowboys, Guns horses and dusty towns.





Now that I have carried out some detailed research on what genres are and given a brief understanding of each genre, I now believe that I able to make a major decision, to which genre my film will be based on. I am going to choose the genre of 'Horror', as I believe it is the most creative and interesting genre I have analysed. In addition, with the use of the programs and equipment I have available, to make the Horror genre stand out in my course work. I will continue my research and planning looking more specifically at the ways that the horror genre, influence posters, magazine front covers and teaser trailers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment